Monday, August 15, 2011

Half Wit Half Marathon

You know you are a Half Wit when:
 - you drive to Reading PA
-you stay in the only room the Hampton Inn has, which is Handicap accessible, only has a full sized bed, and the shower floods the bathroom.
-you get up at 6am ON A SUNDAY on purpose
-you get dressed and eat breakfast with one single thought on your mind...I really hope I can potty before we leave
-you show up at a German Beer Club at 7:30am even though you don't plan to drink...yet, anyway
-you hang out for about 2 hours talking with other "Half Wits" like you about all the other "Half Wit" stuff you have done and you are planning to do in the future
-you pee in the woods one last time
-you and your "Half Wit" compadres huddle around listening to some crazed man in a "Pre Reg" shirt telling you what a damn "Half Wit" you are for being there and doing this
-you and about 400 others take off, in the rain, and the fog, into the woods for roughly the next 2-3+ hours (depending on how fast you are)
And...
-You run 13.1 of the hardest miles, for 3+ hours, in the woods, on barely marked trails, mostly uphill, in the pouring rain, slipping and falling in mud, climbing 168 stairs to hell, tripping on rocks, losing toenails....
WHY?

Because we are HALF WITS...and for some HALF WIT reason, this is our idea of fun!

Pretzel City Sports - Half Wit Half Marathon was a f*cking blast.
But MAN do my quads, ankles and black toenails hurt today.  Thank goodness for days off!!!

Heather, Paul and Rob - The 3 Half Wits!

2 comments:

  1. You did AWESOME yesterday, you "Half-Wit"!! :~) I have some good pics of you running up to "my water stop". I'll be sure to get them to ya. It was great seeing you guys and being able to hang out some. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi found you via the Pretzel City group on Facebook ... your blog name caught my attention. I hate to disappoint you, but while you might be slow ... I am slower :)

    I love your description of yourself ... "I consider myself a serious runner...I am just not very good. In fact, I am slow like a turtle"

    I agree exactly ... though sometimes I drop from the speed of a turtle to the speed of a snail. I ran the 10K at "Run4Sam" at Gring's Mill on Sunday and finished 6th from last. But it's not about speed ... it's about running to be healthy today and long into the future. I'm thankful to be running, especially since I received severe injuries in an accident in '04 and docs didn't know if I would even walk again.

    Congrats on 20 miles! I've done a few halves and a dreaming of tackling a full next year if my body feels strong enough.

    ReplyDelete