Monday, August 22, 2011

20 Miles

As I sit here the morning after my longest run to date...20 miles...I'm feeling something that is sometimes hard for an over achiever, type A to feel.  Proud.

I am amazed that I could run 20 miles!  I am amazed that I felt good enough afterwards to take Hsin to a kids birthday party, go out to dinner, and even straighten up the house a little.

I can't help but think back to just a little over a year ago.  I can clearly remember the night last summer when I ran 5 miles for the first time.  Going out for that run I was so nervous.  I didn't know if I could do it, but I felt if I did, I'd be a "real" runner.  5 miles felt so official to me then.  As I came up the final stretch of that run and approached my house, I saw Pauly sitting out on the front proch.  He knew this was  a big moment for me.  As I came up the driveway and told him I did it, I had tears in my eyes.  It was that feeling...Proud!

Now, only 14 months later, a 20 mile run stirs that same amazing feeling.

I'm proud of my accomplishment.  I'm proud of where I am.  But most of all, I am proud of how far I have come!  In just a little more than a year, I have gone from overwieght and barely able to run 3 miles to a healthy weight and running 20 miles!!!

That is pretty freaking awesome if I do say so myself!

(Stay tuned for a post about Pauly's adventures at the Leadville 100 this past weekend!  Maybe I can even convince him to be a guest author!)

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome! 20 miles is a big deal and it's something that most people will never be able to accomplish. Honestly, I can't even do what you do. I don't have the strength to just go run 20 miles for training. My longest training run ever was 16 miles and I hated it! You should be very proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you and I think you rock!

    BTW...did you wear the skirt? I think the skirt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete