Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Happens When You Live With An Ultra Runner

A thought crossed my mind during my 20 mile run on Sunday.

It was only for a moment...but it kinda stuck like one of those prickly things that stick to your socks after a trail run.

It's there now...and I can't shake it loose.  Its sitting in the back of my mind...poking me once in a while...making me think "should I do it,"  "can I do it?"

Do what?  Well, what if I try to run 30 miles Labor Day weekend at the Labor Pains 12 hour endurance race? 

Time the f*ck out for a second!!!  Didn't you decide to train this summer for a MARATHON?  That's 26.2 miles...not 30 miles.  And isn't that marathon in October, NOT Labor Day weekend?

When you are a runner alone...running 2 miles is good, running 3 miles is great, and running 5 miles is super!

When you are a runner with recreational runner friends or family...running 5 miles is good, running 8 miles is great, and running a half marathon is super.

When you are a runner with semi-serious runner friends and family...running 10 miles is good, running 15 miles is great, and running a marathon is super.

So here is the issue...I am married to someone who thinks...running a marathon is good, running a 50 miler is great, and running a 100 miler is super.

These damn Ultra runners that have popped up in my life (you know who you are) over the past year are totally to blame for my "its not long enough" attitude.

You skinny little freaks (yeah Pauly...I'm talking to you) are just that...FREAKS!!!  You run for 5 hours just for fun.  You run for 24+ hours...just because you can.  You lunatics are all whack jobs and ought to be committed.

And now you might be dragging me into the insanity.  Thanks for the one way ticket to the crazy house.  If I hit the 30 mile mark Labor Day weekend, I fear I may be hooked!!!

(Oh and I got an email from said husband about an hour ago which said, and I quote, "by the way, if you are going balls to the wall at Labor Pains, you have to do 31 miles to make it an official 50K".  So...there 's THAT!!!

2 comments:

  1. If you're going to drive all the way to Reading, you might as well make a day of it. If you want to wimp out at a paltry 26.2 miles, that's fine, but you can certainly do more. And PLEASE don't do 30 miles!!! It's not even an official distance!! If you do that, Ron will only credit you with 26.2 anyway, because you have to reach actual milestones to get recognized. Don't be a baby and just do 31! 50 would be much better though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it! I knew it!! You've been infected, too!

    ReplyDelete