Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Want to Kick A** In Something

I know, I know...I can't even commit to running solidly 3 days a week anymore, so what the F am I doing looking into a NEW form of exercise when I can't even stick with the first one very well right now.

First of all...I DO plan on getting back to running at lunch next week.  I had my executive training program all last week and therefore didn't get to take a non-working lunch AND worked late almost every night.  Then to top it all off, I got a damn cold on Friday, which SUCKED.  The thought of running this week in cold weather with snot dripping from my nose the whole time just didn't f-ing appeal to me.  I'm a wuss...what do you want me to say?  So I'll be back next week now that I feel better.

So the other form of exercise...you are dying to know aren't you?  Karate!  I took it for about a year when I was in high school.  I LOVED it!  I loved the discipline, the structure, the workout and the confidence.  I want that again.  I need a little bit of cross training in my life just to keep things exciting, and this feels like the perfect thing.

Here is the truth about me and running.  Like the name of this blog makes pretty damn clear...I am a serious runner, but I am not very good.  I stick it out and run some pretty amazing distances compared to the rest of the world, but I am still not very good.  Sure its a confidence boost to say I have run a marathon and plan to run more.  It is a confidence boost to say I have run a 50k and plan for run more.  But I am still not very GOOD at running.  I'm not fast, and I am not even average.  I still like it.  Don't get me wrong, I still plan to run and run far.

I want something I am good at though.  I think Karate could be that thing.  I am strong and I am coordinated.  I was a KICK A** dancer when I was younger.  All of this I think gives me an advantage at being pretty good at Karate.  I will get stronger, will get a great workout, great discipline, great cross training and I can be REALLY good at something that is just for me!

I also like that I can be a positive role model for Hsin.  Hsin is a relatively quiet kid, pretty laid back, easy going and not assertive.  I want her to learn how to have a set of balls if you know what I mean.  Not in an inappropriate, kick all the other kids a**es on the playground kind of assertive, but a "I won't take sh*t from you just because you are more aggresive or bigger than me" kind of way.  I want her to be strong and confident in a quiet and laid back kind of way.  That inner confidence that she KNOWS she can stand up for herself when she needs to.  The Karate school I am looking at has kids classes too, and I think maybe Hsin will be more into going if she knows I do it too.  Not that I am going to push her into it if she doesn't want to do it...but I would like to at least make it a viable and attractive option for her.

I just set up my intro class for this coming Monday.  Let's see how it goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment